Poinsettia Made from Fall Leaf Stamps

Hello!  Happy Thursday!
If you're anything like me, you love the idea of finding more uses for something to make the money spent on it stretch just that little bit farther.  I love purchasing new crisp stamp sets...but they are expensive, so I don't get to buy them very often.  So each purchase is important to me.  I want to know that the set I'm buying has lots of versatility so it can be used over and over again.

That's exactly what has happened with the Falling into Autumn set that I purchased from Newton's Nook.  I bought it because I loved the design of the fall leaves, but there is so much inspiration in those images that I find myself coming up with new ways to use them every time I pull the set out.

I recently did a fun blended ink design with them where I applied two colors of ink to one stamp, then misted it and rocked it onto my paper.  You can find that card Here.  Since the set was already on my desk, it was constantly in my line of sight.  So each time I looked at it, the wheels would turn and ideas would come to mind.  That's when this happened:
I took a gorgeous fall stamp set and turned it into a Christmas card!  That vine has been a favorite of mine forever so it was a ton of fun filling this background with it and then using my colored pencils to give it detail.

But my favorite part of this card is that poinsettia!!
One of the stamps in the Falling into Autumn set has the perfect veins to match the poinsettia leaf.  I wanted to play on those and turn it into a flower...but I didn't want to have a colored flower.  I wanted it to stay white.  So in order to do that while also adding some dimension to the leaves, I started by embossing the leaf with white embossing powder.

I have found that by doing this initial white base layer, it helps keep the image crisp and white.  If you want to layer more colors on top, sometimes the paper underneath will start to look "wet" and that can show through if you just use clear.  So start with the white!

On top of the white, I restamped the image in VersaMark and then added some sticky embossing powder.  I haven't had much practice with this stuff so it's a bit tough to not over heat it since that is what I'm used to doing with embossing powder.  You want to set it just until it melts.  So get your heat tool good and HOT and then a quick swipe over the image to melt.  Super simple!

With that being sticky, I took out some Elizabeth Crafts Cool Diamond glitter and sprinkled that on top.  The sticky powder grabs the glitter, and then to set it, just rub your finger over top and shake off anything that remains!  I did hit each leaf with my heat tool again just to help melt everything back together with the glitter on top.

But look at that flower!  I love it!!!  Definitely the star of this card!  And all from a fall leaf stamp :)

To finish the card, I stamped and black glitter embossed a sentiment from Lawn Fawns Snow Day set and mounted that with a black scallop frame.  The center of the poinsettia has silver beads glued into it, and I scattered a few glossy accent capped silver dots around the card as well.

I challenge you to take a stamp set and do something completely different with it!!!

I'd like to enter this card into the following challenges:
    Addicted to Stamps and More #220-Christmas Photo Inspiration
    Artistic Inspirations #167-Anything Goes
    Craft Your Passion #338-Anything Goes
    Creative Inspirations #262-Frosted Florals
    Word Art Wednesday #256-Anything Goes

Thanks so much for visiting! <3

5 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at ATSM, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible Emily! I too...like to stretch my stamps as far as I can. You have done an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card-love the colors! Pretty! Thanks for playing with us at Craft Your Pasion!
    Carolyn DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful creation! Thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Thanks for playing along at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete